Title: Supervisor – Acute Care
FTE: 1.0 FTE (40 hours/week)
Schedule: Variable, days/pms
Holiday Rotation: None
Weekend Rotation: None
This position coordinates and evaluates patient care for the Acute Care department. This individual helps ensure the 24-hour delivery of high-quality services, manages resources and people, quality and performance improvement and serves as a role-model for SPH’s values and mission. The Acute Care Supervisor provides direct patient care (30-50% of time) and maintains an expert knowledge base for nursing practice. Position consults with staff on patient conditions/situations, monitors clinical practice, works with staff to effect change and performs customer service and unit-specific administrative tasks. Position serves as back up to Director – Acute Care in his/her absence.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates and supervises day-to-day activities to ensure efficient and effective delivery of nursing services in collaboration with Acute Care Director.
- Collaborates with Acute Care Director in the development of standards of care and practice, policies and procedures, and assures the integration and implementation of such into day-to-day work processes.
- Serves as a resource to clinical staff; ensuring compliance with applicable regulatory standards and incorporating research findings into practice.
- Reinforces optimal service delivery based on SPH’s mission and assessed needs.
- Provides input to the development of and reinforcing adherence to evidence-based policies, procedures, and methods.
- Coordinates and collaborates with other leaders and clinical staff.
- Participates in coordinating patient assignments.
- Assumes management responsibilities in the absence of the Acute Care Director.
- Works with the Director to develop capital and operating budgets.
- Ensures optimal use of supplies, space, and equipment.
QUALITY, SAFETY, AND PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT:
- Provides day-to-day supervision of unit staff, ensuring staffing levels and overseeing work flow.
- Assists Director in management of payroll functions.
- Participates in the selection of staff and guides new employee orientation.
- Evaluates employee performance as assigned and ensures competency.
- Works with the Department Director to provide coaching, counseling, development, and recognition to staff.
- Manages and improves staff engagement.
- Manages staffing, scheduling, and daily work flow ensuring optimal patient satisfaction and productivity.
- Promotes and facilitates the development of interdisciplinary relationships with other members of the care team.
- Shares responsibility with AC Director for development and implementation of clinical standards of care, development and competency assessment of staff and evaluation of staff performance.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Effectively manages patient satisfaction and service excellence initiatives. Leads the department’s customer service team.
- Identifies and successfully addresses opportunities for improving departmental operations, monitoring outcomes and providing feedback when needed.
- Collaborates with other leaders and serves on Association-wide performance improvement activities and Lean Six Sigma projects affecting MSP.
- Identifies and reacts to safety concerns and evaluates the impact of related responses.
- Addresses event reports and analyzes strategies for appropriate follow-up.
- Shows initiative and supports requirements necessary for successful outcomes of Quality Improvement Measures.
Performing the duties of Staff Registered Nurse as indicated in that job description.
- Participates in developing and implementing organizational strategies to address opportunities to improve the delivery and cost efficiency of health care to patients.
- Required: Graduated from an accredited school of nursing. BSN.
- Preferred: None
Licenses and Registrations
- Required: 3-5 years of inpatient nursing experience, with the most recent experience occurring within the last 2 years.
- Preferred: Experience in critical care, PACU, or emergency department desirable. Supervisory and/or leadership experience.
- Required: Current licensure as a registered nurse in the state of Wisconsin.
- Preferred: None
- Required: BLS, ACLS, and PALS certified within six (6) months of appointment.
- Preferred: National certification in Medical-Surgical Nursing, Progressive Care Nursing, and/or Critical Care Nursing.
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance